Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The minimalism of pithy writing

Found myself sitting in the woods several days ago. Thinking of how I love to write... to ponder what I am experiencing in my walk. I have found that I love the essence of things, I love things condensed into a potent elixir of efficiency. There are such things as: 3 fingers of whisky neat, espresso coffee, one-line summaries, a well-timed, meaningful glance, a pregnant pause, one-word retorts.......

As I sat thinking about this I was inexplicably drawn to consider poetry, which I most definitely know nothing about. Consulting Google brought me across the Japanese poetry form of haikus. Just three lines, seventeen syllables in a 5-7-5 pattern. Boom! I was hooked and wrote my first two on my phone as I sat on a log soaking up the wood's silence.

So, without further ado, this initial set of Santiago Haikus. I envision the possibility of reading these some years from now and having no idea what I was thinking. But for the moment, they speak to me....

So many ask me                                                                    
now what with so much more time?                                        
answer: slowing down

Three miles in an hour
sweet synching of sanity
ever so precious

My gluttonous blog
versus the spartan haiku
such a sweet balance

Walk into the woods
silence, solitude, so good
heart sighs in relief

Police scanner mind
little red lights keep searching
for brief contentment

Christmas tree is up
mid-November kinda soon
two stories, two sides

Johnny Appleseed
so effortlessly carefree
in all his travels

So long my house church
Together eight years but now
New day begs birthing

So blissfully free
sunlight advocates drifting
carried, not striving

Summer meadowlark
There as a boy, now so gone
I must find you soon

Marathon challenge
four times over but not five
fresh out of reasons

My blog posts blather
haikus: punchy espresso
each word lifts own weight

And so ends this debut. Jesus, thank you for the simple pleasure of expressing with words. You created us with this capacity which separates us from the animal kingdom. A reflection of the image in which we were created... created in the image of God. Magnificent Lord! Thank you!



No comments: