Saturday, April 12, 2008

A tale of Two Scenes

One of the more liberating things over the last 5 or so years of my life has been to be honest and acknowledge my woundedness and to revisit various crime scenes in my life. I grieve a bit over how long this has taken me but am thankful that it has arrived nonetheless.
I wonder, Why so long? You know, I write that off in part to the craziness of how I have done maleness. It has been shaped by lots of things...mainly by my unique, learned biases along with my interpretations and homemade remedies to life's events. (Caveat: Of course, my journey as a guy is certainly not going to be universally applicable to all men. Today's blog is simply submitted as a hunk of catharsis intended for me and my life processing).

Never let them see you sweat! I confess that has been operative in my life, born out of the fierce competition on/in fields, rinks, classrooms, social mazes and the ultimate battleground of corporate America. Oh yes, no chink must be shown less you provide an advantage for the many opponents, visible and invisible, that are ever close by.
For whatever reason, that bucket is done carrying water for me. Maybe the timing of this recalibration is just part of getting physically older or gaining more spiritual maturity or just the effect of a lifetime of loving Cheetos...I don't know and for now it's not pertinent.
There are two scenes that I am going to drag out of closeted darkness and into the searing white light of day and fresh perspective. (Passing observation: Although willing to do this, I'm aware of a significant level of hesitancy at actually doing so.)

MURDER BY KETCHUP:
I was about 11 and we were on a family summer vacation heading up to Duluth and the North Shore. Very exciting for me, loved it up there with all the rock climbing a boy could want, the mystery of the largest freshwater lake in the entire world, the fancy white tablecloths of the Pickwick and their delectable, hot, Popovers and the funky little cabins of the North Shore low-tech "resorts". It was heaven I tell you!

We were riding in my Dad's shiny new 1957 Chevy with 3 on the tree and a Blueflame 6 banger power plant. Man he was proud of that car! Turns out it was the first brand new car he had ever purchased thus his pride was so very understandable. I still remember that on these kinds of vacations, my Mom would always seem to get my brother (4yrs younger) and me brand new bluejeans. They were the dark blue variety which, I believe, were really the only style around then. The main reason I think of those jeans is how incredibly stiff and uncomfortable they were. Like strapping two planks on your legs complete with that scratchy unbroken-in denim to boot. They also invariably were too long and I ended up with 4" or 5" cuffs which would eventually fill with acorns, twigs and other assorted detritus. But I digress on this Levis rabbit trail.....

So we pull into a little drive-in along Hwy 61, the only real route then available up North (way pre-35W). Ah yes, time for an all-American lunch of burgers and fries, the best meal ever invented in my 11 year estimation. At last the carhop brings the tray, connects it to the partially rolled-up driver's side door window and Dad distributes the goods. But then things turned decidedly ugly....
My brother and I sat in the back and started fighting over who got to use the red plastic squeeze bottle of ketchup first. In the ensuing battle we squeezed the bottle hard and ketchup squirted all over the ceiling and seats of this brand spanking new 1957 Chevy. My Dad went directly over the edge into a rage that had to have been pent up over a million things for a very long time because when it was released it rivaled the fierceness of Vesuvius!

He grabbed the ketchup bottle from us, shook for a second with unbridled anger and then proceeded to point the bottle at me while unloading it's entire contents all over my face, my chest, my arms.... In addition to the ketchup it was the hatred in his eyes that ultimately devastated me to my core. My reaction of hurt and unbelief quickly turned to anger. I bolted out of the car, dripping with ketchup, eyes stinging from tomatoes and tears, and headed out to Hwy 61 to walk the 60 or 70 miles home. Eventually, Dad pulled up alongside of my determined, angry walk down the shoulder of the road yelling at me to get back into the #^%$&% car! I ignored him totally and set my eyes like flint toward the south and away from my murderer. I was determined and intended to never get back into that car again! I had been shot and killed by my own Dad!

ORDER OF THE ARROW:
I loved Boy Scouts, especially the camping. Summers always included a number of weekend camping trips to Willow River, Rum River and O'Brien State Park complete with tinfoil dinners, campfires, hikes and scary stories at night. But the mother of all camping experiences was Camp Tomahawk. One full week of camping bliss with aquatic merit badge opportunities, freedom, the great food of the dining hall, freedom, all kinds of contests and sleeping in big tents with cots. Man it was the Ritz!
Every year the week culminated with a sacred Indian-type bonfire ceremony. The counselors morphed into Indian braves with bare chests, leather loin clothes, moccasins and war paint. This was guaranteed to get the heart of any 1950's-era boy racing.

The ultimate moment came at these culminating ceremonies where the "braves" would go into the audience (seated on logs circling the 10' high fire), roughly grab a scout and forceably drag him from the crowd and throw him to the ground by the fire. This would be repeated several times until there were maybe 15-20 guys. They would then be solemnly initiated into the Order of the Arrow as part of an elite team of scouts who had been secretly elected by their peers. The evening would end with those new initiates being loaded into trucks, taken out deep into the woods and one by one, thrown off into the mosquito-infested forest to spend the night alone with no food, water or flashlight. Then, the next day, they would be assigned to work on very difficult projects out in the hot sun under a covenant of complete silence. I tell ya, that was legendary stuff, highly esteemed and I could only dream that one day that could be me.

Well, one year it appeared that my time had finally arrived. After the secret ballots were counted, I had several of my 'insider' buddies tell me that I was the guy and this was my year! That night at the sacred ceremony my heart was racing with the anticipation of being dragged down to the fire, made to kneel, then being hit hard on each shoulder with the 'sacred stick' and whisked away into the inky darkness, alone in the woods. Me, about to become part of the lore I had observed over the years. Fantastic!

In waded the braves with their angry demeanor looking for the anointed ones. More and more boys were grabbed as I waited with baited breath. And then that part of the ceremony was over and I was still sitting on my log, unidentified and uninitiated. Subsequent tries at joining the group at the trucks were sharply rebuffed..."You must have already been intitiated at the fire in order to proceed on the journey...no exceptions! And all because of a scoutmaster who didn't understand that it was his job to stand up behind the elected boy and point him out to the roving braves. An opportunity for masculine initiation forever lost....


Of course there is vulnerability that comes along with throwing out two such examples of wounds in my life. I can just hear that accuser in my mind:
"You call those wounds? Hell, that ain't nothin'. What a pussy!"
And to those voices I say just 4 words, 3 of which are printable "Shut the @&$% up!"
Somebody else may have experienced these very things and it may well have run off like water off the proverbial duck's back. For me, they carried messages that I accommodated. I believed their lies wholeheartedly. I swallowed their poison. These combined with other woundings and ministered this to me....
"You were a pain to your Dad. You were nothing special and you certainly don't have what it takes. Things available to other guys aren't going to be for you. Your yearning for initiation and inclusion into the fellowship of men is just not meant to be. You will perpetually be a day late and a dollar short. You have been weighed and found lacking in worth. Best you can do is just fake it cause you sure don't have it. Good luck Bub, you're going to need it!"
Allow me to speak of healing and resolution another time...for now I'm just going to pluck out some arrows that found their mark and leave them to quiver in the heat of the noonday sun.

You didn't really see this kind of blog comin' did you Santiago? Couldn't have or you would have never shown up in the first place....

7 comments:

Dean said...

James, I was lying in bed reading new posts on my phone when I came across this. I had to get up to be able to post a reply but this wasn't going to be able to keep.

I firstly want to honour you for the courage of writing about those two episodes. It must have been difficult to write, regardless of how much healing you have experienced since then.

Secondly I want to add my voice to yours in telling that accuser to "Shut the @&$% up!" Those experiences must have hurt like hell at the time and just burned deeper and deeper over time.

Nothing I know hurts as deeply and scars as permanently as being "murdered" by your dad. Whether it's death by ketchup, by silence or by indifference, it hurts and just keeps hurting.

I know that the story doesn't end here for you, you hint at that in your post, but for the moment I'd like to just sit with you and agree that it hurt and it sucks that it happened. If we could, I'd build a fire, we could sit round it late into the night and just let what was, be. I'd have no words to offer, just my acknowledgement that these things mattered, as you matter. So when next you make a fire, throw a log on for me.

James said...

Dean,
Great to have you along and in this with me. I make fires in my backyard all the time and I will indeed take you up on your offer. It would be great to sit together but in lieu of that the next log I throw on will be with your presence in mind. Thanks so much for your brotherhood Dean.

lorna said...

Oh James. I am only now able to type, as it is generally very hard to do so through tears. I have never experienced anything quite like you have and for that I thank God. It also seems a bit shallow to try empathise or play the "me too" game.

BUT, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing these experiences with us. I have just tucked my little 3 year old girl up in bed (South African time), given her biiig hugs and kisses and said our prayers. Basically we asked God to keep everybody safe (we have a very long list). As I walked from her room her little voice said "I love you mommy, sweet dreams, sleep tight". My heart melts every time I hear those words. They make me believe that I am doing something right as a parent.

Your experiences have reminded me how fragile one's life experiences are and how important my roles as a wife, mother, aunt, sister, friend and daughter are. How every time I touch someone's life it leaves an impression. Every day I wish I could prevent the blows life throws at my four children, but I know I can't so all I can try do is never get to the stage where I am saying “if only I hadn't....”. So, throw some of those arrows our way and let them burn in the hot African sun. Or alternatively my son can use them at archery where he deals with some of his frustration with life:)

terri said...

oh, we are all these tender beings, aren't we? this makes me love you even more jim. as i was reading this i was struck by how much you sound like dave; the way you tell a story is so similar. and it makes me admire you in the same way i admire him. your humor and strength and vulnerability are a rare thing in the world. bless you friend.

James said...

Lorna, I am honored to have you drop by and to "meet" you. Somehow, I have become mates with Dean via blogdom (we're currently sharing fires together)...that is an amazing transaction, certainly not one that Al Gore ever anticipated when he invented the internet (ha, ha...kind of an American joke).
I so appreciate your earnest desire to save your children from so much of what the fallen world has to offer. A parent's heart for her/his children is a beautiful thing to behold. "Keep your heart with all vigilance for from it flow the springs of life."I fear my next blog may be requiring me to describe the pain of hurting those you love the most. May God richly bless your motherhood with tenacity and wisdom and give you a heart of deep love and understanding for their father!

James said...

Terri,you are one of my inspirations in even setting out on this blogging path in the first place. Thank you for your kind, affirming words. I must confess, part of the addictive aspect of blogging is the fellowship of commentors. I have truly had more supportive love and understanding offered on the doorstep of 500'Flyby over the last couple of months than I have from entire chunks of my life spanning 8,10 and 12 year periods! Is that not bizarre? So welcome and yet somewhat unsettling and surreal...
Blessings to you young lady...and to Dave. I hardly know you yet here you are speaking into and impacting my life...really tough to grok it all...

di said...

my eyes and heart are stinging too and i echo the common theme of letting that just be for now knowing it mattered then and still matters now.

i admit my mind won't let me sit there too long knowing you now and who you have become despite these arrows ~ it longs for the telling of the healing that has come to that kid. parents behaving badly...adults acting like enemy pawns...sadly it isn't even on our radar that that could be the case....too young to know any better that it isn't just about us. i love the scene where the kid is having lunch in the diner with the 40 something russell and the 60 something russell and his dog show up...we did it! you did it! I AM NOT A LOSER! past-present-future fly by and viola! he knows what he's gotta do now. he loves his kid and respects who he becomes. good place to be now.

glad you're still here telling your story and patiently i await the next chapters....glad you didn't see it coming santiago ;) whatdya think of them apples now?