Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Who's your worst enemy?

(WARNING: NOT TO BE READ WHILE EATING)

I guess my intent is not to spend the next umpteen posts telling endless stories of wounds incurred in the war zone of life. No one gets through life without taking hits, no one. And really, it's not the hits themselves that impact one's life so much...it's the message of the wound that has the lasting power. It's the vows we make around the wound, often in the interests of self-protection to avoid future repeats. We also make agreements with ourselves fueled by anger, hatred, utter terror and a host of other stout emotions in the aftermath of woundings that drive us to make those "I will never again", "From now on, whenever....", "I can see that I'm not....", "My life will always/never be...." etc, etc, painfully etc.

But for me to go on in this blog-o-mine requires me to take an unpleasant tour through the worst wound of all. Yes that one, the "mother of all wounds". To say that I have not been looking forward to this is the mother of all understatements. Matter of fact, I am tapping out this post mere days after my last one which, for me, is an unusually short interim. Why? Because today, my birthday, in my devotion time I felt the Lord release me to go and at least start this dreaded post. The picture that describes my angst about this comes from when I was a tyke and was sick to my stomach. My Mom would keep telling me that I needed to just throw up and get it over with. Well, I hated that process so much that I would put it off and put it off until finally (mercifully) nature just had it's way and I went through the brief trauma but gained relief as a result. So, excuse me in advance, I have to throw up....!

From where I sit, the worst wounds of all are the self-inflicted ones. After all, those coming from other people and other sources normally just couldn't be avoided. We get hit, we reel, hopefully we heal well and we move on. But those heart gashes we brutally slice on our own are a diabolical self-betrayal, a turning of our self against our self. Where do you turn when you can't trust yourself to do right by you? What can be worse than becoming your own worst enemy? How are you supposed to get up in the morning of a new day and look forward to a day of blessing when you yourself have become the enemy camp?

OK Santiago, approach the white porcelain confessional and get it out! It was the late 80's, I was married and Jessica and Jenna were (and are) the most precious daughters on the face of this earth. Trust me, this is a true statement!! They would and still do melt my heart and send me quickly to my knees in both gratefulness for getting to be their dad and for protection and blessing upon their lives. I was at the time a troubled man. Having made Jesus my Lord May 19, 1975, married in October of 1977, we had gone 7 or 8 years to a great church that ultimately fell completely apart. A couple years of co-pastoring a home church and I was fast taking on water as my ship headed for the dangerous rocks and ultimate shipwreck. I was in a position of power in my career, had a VP title, company car, successful....

However, at home I was esteemed not. I just couldn't seem to please or get it right and domestically it was a continual eggshell walk.(Caveat: I blame no one but myself for this wounding. I take full responsibility for my actions and I am 110% accountable. No part of this post is meant to be offered as an excuse or even a viable or understandable explanation. All that follows is nothing but the reaping of a black harvest from black seeds regretfully sown by me.) A typical weekend took the form of me saying or doing something offensive on Friday which precipitated a long lasting anger response that would tank most weekends.

In stark contrast, at work I was kind of 'the man'. I had been instrumental in rolling out a particular program that was dramatically turning around our companies financial picture. I was getting lots of kudos, I was in demand for the 'work hard, play hard' after work get-togethers at the local 494 clubs. Oh at first I resisted mightily. As a believer, that wasn't for me. But the erosion of this position went pretty fast and within several months of saying no, one night I went. I was virtually an instant hit and was crowned king of the party and expected to become a permanent fixture by my peers. And what about those work peers? How dangerous can the group become with whom you spend, at that time, 50 hours a week? They become not only like a family...they can become in some ways even closer as you share all the emotional ups and downs of fast-paced business dealings. Fox hole buddies.....

Well, you have undoubtedly seen this coming....

I also found myself getting lots of attention from some of the females at work. After work there was no shortage of letting down your hair and dancing and laughing. I am ashamed, eternally regretful to have to confess that I succumbed. I let it happen. No need here for gory, tabloid-quality details. Suffice it to say that I did adulterous things with several women. No affairs with any of them, never slept with any of them but, regardless, I did adulterous things that would not stand the light of day much less the light of the Truth. I betrayed my wife, my daughters and myself. I may as well have plunged a cold blade of steel into their hearts and into mine. I ripped asunder, shredded, the gossamer fabric of trust.

This ilicit behavior occurred within a 6-8 mos time frame. That time passed and life went on for about a year and I lived with basically little to no conviction of wrongdoing. I realize this sounds all wrong and sick but this delayed reaction to my sin was how it actually happened. One morning I was shaving, seeing myself in the mirror and it's like a light bulb snapped on inside me and I was overwhelmed with "Oh my God, what have I done? Who have I become" (I am now very sick about regurgitating this horror. I intend to make a final dash to the end so pardon any abruptness.)

Suffice it to say that eventually I ended up confessing the truth. Oh, not in a brave way...no, I have no credit coming. It was pulled out of me bit by bit by someone who, (bless her heart this is a talent of hers, not a weakness), could make a KGB agent look like a rank amateur. Finally it was all out, I lived in the house for a little while longer but that soon came to an end. We were separated for 2 yrs, there were several aborted attempts at reconciliation/restoration. But I had betrayed someone who Meyers-Briggs described as being closest in makeup to the historical character of Joan of Arc. What followed were 2 of the darkest, most depressing, lost years of my life and I owe it all to me and the enemy who must grin even now as it is retold.

We were officially divorced July of 1992. I will not be like one of those Hollywood characters who, on their death bed, report that they have no regrets. I have many and my heart is full of scars. I say this not to eilicit sympathy, that would be ludicrous. No, only to set the record straight on what was the source of the worst of my wounds...it was me.
Yes, there is restoration to be discussed. But, as before, I am going to leave this stinking mass of putrid slop just lie there. My South African friends, Dean and Lorna, have offered their hot sun and so yes, I put it out under that scorching, African sun for now to quiver along with the other arrows.
J, if you ever come across this I can only say once again how very sorry I am for all that I brought down on you. Know that it has exacted much of my life from me and to this day I walk with a limp.....not that that would bring any consolation.)

Happy Birthday Hoppy

14 comments:

di said...

Happy Birthday Hoppy! I love you man. I feel your sorrow and regret and while you know this I will tell you again what I hear ... you are forgiven. I personally relate so much to the Mary who weeped on Jesus' feet and wiped the tears with her hair for as one who has been forgiven much loves much. Godly sorrow leads to repentance at once and becomes a way of living. I know you will always stay tender and strong. Thank you for sharing your heart with us James, you are a true picture of redemption and restoration. Love you.

terri said...

i started to reply to this last night, but i just couldn't get words to cooperate. there's just so much here that reveals you, but not in the ways you might suspect. i still can't really find the words that feel right to me, but i don't want to leave you hanging out here without saying that i deeply appreciate your willingness to navigate these waters this way. you are an amazing man jim. all of us get what it means to betray our values and our loves...it's the human story from day one. but the ways that you have surrendered this story to God make all the difference in the world. bless you for your humility and tenderness. i'm proud to know you.

happy birthday santiago.

James said...

Di,
What a sweetheart you are with your warm words of encouragement. I am stunned, really, at where this blog has taken me. There is no way that it would have ever have been born on Superbowl Sunday had I seen this coming. Yet, I feel strongly that for me to be authentic in writing in the present, I must also provide some framework of where I have been in the past.
Thank you so much for your eyes upon my life....you are highly valued!

Terri,
"I'm proud to know you" Oh my gosh, this to me is a perfect picture of grace. I pull back the curtain a wee bit and expose the ugly darkness of my "old man" and you say you are proud to know me. Thank you for being a representation of Jesus to me Terri...thank you so much. I half expected to lose all readers from yesterday's post...As I already have said above...I am stunned!

terri said...

i'm not going anywhere. we're all in the same leaky boat depending on the one who walks on water...

di said...

james, i appreciate what that desire for framework says about you being a person of integrity and fearless transparency and there is something about putting things in the light that really does force any residual darkness lingering around it to flee. i see i can't spell wept at 7:35 am. that was a random recall. that is how my brain works and as you've seen on my blog that is how i've so far been able to begin to tell my story. it may seem ridiculously vague at times but this becoming inside out can be slow sometimes. i had dinner with a friend the other night who has been reading my blog and noticed a big chunk of yuk has been missing from my retelling....and she is right. someday i may write about that. someday for sure i will write about the story of redemption that she and i experienced. in her words...

I too, do not take our friendship for granted...it's very special for many
reasons...it's one of forgiveness, truth, understanding, comfort, faith,
reconciliation, hope, beauty, and much more. I feel very blessed to have
gained something so wonderful from something so negative in my past.


Back in '03 I gave her a little art piece that said "From God's Heart Came a Friend Like You"

it is a precious story i hope to sometime find the courage and words to tell but for now i'll just continue getting inspired by your honesty and light.

Marsyl said...

Hoppy, I don't know what to say. You are courageous, man. And you are so right-on that we are always our own worst enemy. There is a lot of my story I just can't tell yet, and maybe never can, it's too painful and I still feel so ashamed a lot of the time. But you have given me hope that maybe, someday...
And, I wish I could have heard the words you expressed from my ex, I think it would have gone a long way towards healing just to know that he 'got it' and was willing to take the accountability. To stand up and be a man about it, so to speak. So, all that to say, thanks for your transparency once again, brother.

James said...

Di,
I have said this before but it is such an unexpected blessing to gain so much encouragement from this thing called a blog. Thank you for your continued supply of warm words that support and affirm.
It hasn't even been 4 months since my first post but looking back on what was meandering through my mind then bears little resemblance to where this posting thing has taken me. And really, looking ahead, I have no idea anymore where things will be going...I am just taking my cues from the Lord of Hosts...nothing like going right to the top hey? And as it turned out, I was ushered into a bit of raw transparency but now that I have, I feel somehow a bit more free and a little more innoculated against putting myself in more flattering light than is warranted. Let's face it, we have nothing to boast about but Jesus and that is a theme I intend to regularily weave into future posts.

Pentimento,
You bless me young lady...to me, you are such a complex mix of sensitivity and refinement mingled with a no-nonsense, call em' like you see em' demeanor.
By posting this last dreaded blog, I in no way am recommending or suggesting that other's should also seriously consider unwrapping their failures. This was just something that I know I had to do and as painful as it is to do the opposite of "heh everybody, look at me, aren't I cool?", I truly do want to understand and be understood and therefore some framework of the past was, for me, necessary.
I know I started thinking this blog was mine, all mine. But now I see that this is just one more source of thoughts that fit into the "take every thought captive" guidance He has so lovingly left for us.....

lorna said...

It is 11pm on a Saturday night. We have just come home after attending a wedding of a close friend. He finally found his true love and boy has he been looking hard. Well suffice to say Dean and I were in tears a lot of the time. We are hopeless at weddings. Oh yes, include funerals, birthdays.... in fact any ceremony. They are so very much in love with each other and God and it was so special. It gave me such a warm fuzzy feeling that I want to hold on to.

However, from experience, I know how hard marriage can be and how round every corner there is temptation, hardship and conflict. James, you are amazing. To be able to share such painful experiences so honestly leaves me astounded. I could never be as forthcoming as you and trust me we all have skeletons that we are desperately trying to shove back into the closet.

I guess my arrows will have to join yours under our sun but they will smoulder there anonymously because I am definitely not as brave as you. But despite the past I have found my soul mate in Dean, so clearly, someone has forgiven me.

When I drive on the highway, it takes me past a church with a billboard facing the road. I am always left smiling. The last two messages were "Life may take you in the wrong direction, BUT God allows Uturns" and "Getting too close to the Son will keep you from burning". Too true! God Bless

lorna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dean said...

James, I'm stunned by your courage. Its easy to talk about how great we are or about how others have failed us. Not so easy to stand up and publicly declare our own failings. Especially not like this.

I said in an earlier email to you that "what I'm hoping to get is insight into the thinking of an older man who has experienced both the good and bad of life, who believes in the risen Saviour, who struggles with thoughts, feelings & frustrations and who is making his way as best he can". This post illustrates this perfectly. You are modelling what it means to be a man, a real man. And for that I am grateful.

Being a deeply fallen, though forgiven, man myself it's not my place to judge, forgive or perhaps even comment on what you have shared. Rather I will draw my sword, take up position near you and cover your back as you process this and whatever other issues God places on your heart. As we say in my part of the world, "aluta continua" - the struggle continues.

James said...

Lorna,
I was relieved to hear from you and Dean. We had just begun getting to know each other, Dean and I were enjoying a fire together out back.... Yet the "organicness" of my post led me to think that not all readers would necessarily wish to return. I so love hearing you have found your soul mate and I rejoice at the tenderness that comes through your comments. I'm about to come over now and gather up those smoldering arrows. About 3 or 4 days of baking under your sun is all it takes for them to have been duly processed!

Dean,
Let me just say this, any brother who will "draw a sword and take up a position near (me)and cover my back..." draws instant camaraderie and my sword in return over you and your domain.
I appreciate your words Dean although I find it tough to think of myself modelling what it means to be a "real" man. Of course, if that includes being brutally aware of how clay-like my feet are and how sure I am of having no basis for any confidence in the flesh then hey, maybe OK.
Thanks for "aluta continua"...that, my brother, is a keeper!

Dean said...

Sounds to me like you've got a really good idea of what a real man is! Its easy to be macho. Much harder, I think, to realise with absolute clarity that you have clay feet but then still to go on. To make things work. To keep trying when it all seems too much. To risk hoping that maybe things will get better. It's the guys who fall, but get up wiser that impress me.

Anonymous said...

Greetings sir, i found a link to your blog from Di's blog. I usually never wade over into unfamiliar places to people who don't approach me, but this blog was so impacting that i couldn't silence a response.

I will never be able to compile together words in the English language to describe how deep this blog runs. To take the risk of being this vulnerable in the public eye is astounding.

Just a thought from your words....it is my stance that (while i would love to turn the tides and blame some outside source for my sins and failures) at the end of the day i only have myself to glare back at me when i look in the mirror.

I thank you for your humility in writing this blog. Maybe someday i will have the ability to spill out some things that i hide. Honestly i don't think i can because i feel like the alcoholic that still hides the bottle under the bed.

James said...

Tammy,
Thanks again for visiting and introducing yourself. I replied to your post by email on July 23 and was wondering if you received it? Regardless, I appreciate your comments and welcome future visits. Of course, that's assuming that I start blogging again....for now I am in a sort of quiet phase....nothing is bubbling up for the moment.
Here's to transparency...
James