Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Camino considerations....Part 2

So I did let my initial Camino writing simmer for a good while. When I read it I did have a bit more clarity. Especially about whether this is legitimately something that I am to actually embark upon.  I think Yes, this is a real invitation and my main hesitancy seems to come from my own self doubts and internal fears, not whether or nor Father is actually inviting me....I believe he is and I feel even less comfortable saying No than proceeding. I am currently circling the process of buying a ticket either on my own or via Ted Groat (although that option is looking questionable right now).

Since last writing I have had to come to grips with what has been a chronic hamstring/right piriformis issue.  First couple of miles up to 5 miles are OK but then the muscles tightening and the pain in the right butt get to be quite distracting.  My concern is that just stretching and trying to keep on walking through it is not getting me to the improvement I will need for a successful Camino.

But these physical hiccups have brought me to a new agreement with myself re: the Camino.  I do not require myself to walk each step from St. Jean to Santiago. For that matter, not even sure if I have to start in St. Jean.  My goal is to do the entire Camino by whatever means necessary to complete and a combination of walking, resting and busing may be what "my Camino" turns out to be.  AND THAT IS OK!!  For that matter, maybe I don't even do the Pyrenees at all, maybe I start in Roncesvalles.  That is not what I hope for but I have put my inner slave-driver on notice that he is not in charge. My Camino, my meeting up with Jess will occur on the terms Jesus provides for me regardless of how that turns out.

Meanwhile, I am taking steps to address my chronic ham/piriformis situation. I am going to stop my walking now for up to 8 weeks to let a total healing take place.  That puts my next walk....and a short one to ease me back in, on or about Paul's birthday, March 12.  For now, I will have to turn to the distasteful regimen of swimming and maybe lifting. I will also be making an appointment with Mitch to assess my alignment to see if there is anything in that regard that is contributing to my problems.

My latest wrinkle/consideration is that I went on Booking.com app to check on availability at Roncesvalles alburgue and it is already booked for Sept 8,9. Yikes, has Camino spiked in popularity so much as to make getting a room a major problem....time will tell but I think I will rethink booking an airline ticket at this point until I find our more info.

So the Camino provides! Within five hours from writing the above paragraph things have a totally different outlook. My Camino angel, Jim McCaffrey has agreed to meet me today, 1/21/20 at 2:30 to help me actually book St. Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles for Sept 7,8,9.  If this goes as planned I will solidify flight itinerary sent by Ted Groat for approx $820 and the die will be cast.  Thank you Father for guiding me into these apparent solutions!!  I will update this after this afternoon with what transpires......

A couple hours with my Camino angel, Jim McCaffrey, has me reservations at Beilari in St. Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles. I will stay in Pamplona (will need to make reservations there) on the night of the 7th of Sept., bus to St Jean on the 8th and stay at Beilari and then head for Orisson on the 9th and Roncesvalles on the 10th. I also had Ted Groat book the missionary fare flights on Am Airlines.
THE DIE IS CAST!!

No comments: